Goodbye Reader. Hello Feedly!Posted: March 21, 2013
When I read the pop-up on my Google Reader that it was going away in July, I had a mini freak out. Seriously. Thoughts of never seeing my favorite bloggers again because I depend on my reader for URL’s like people depend on cell phones for phone numbers. I spent a good part of the next few days agonizing about all of the things I was going to miss out on- would the bloggers I read miss me? I surely wasn’t going to be reading as many blogs as I currently do- however would I find them all!!!
Yeah. So it was a little dramatic.
I popped over to Feedly on the recommendation of pretty much everyone, and you know what? It took about 8 seconds for me to transfer my Google Reader. But, the most exciting thing? All the blogs I had subscribed to on a whim and never ever read and could never get out of my reader because no matter what I did, no matter what trick I followed, those blogs that always came back as soon as I logged into Blogger? GONE! All of them!
I also took the time to cull though all of the blogs that had long since closed up shop- last post 56 days old? They might be back. Last post is 1,347 days old…probably not! It was the most satisfying kind of organizing.
So, starting fresh with a newly pared down reader. I have less than 100 blogs in there for the first time in years. Of course now I am itching to add some more- preferably people who are not dabbling in blogging until they find something new and shiny in 5 weeks. Also- no strictly monetized blogs. I get it- I do it to an extent over at The Slacker Mom, but when every single post is brought to you by a sponsor- it doesn’t matter what your story is, if every post is sponsored, it just reads like copy and I’m not buying it. I want some real, old school blogs. Blogs where the writing and ideas took center stage. I feel like I’m trying to resurrect a dieing breed, but I know they are out there.
Here are 5 blogs that stand out to me in some special way:
– The first blog I ever read (before I even knew what a blog was) was A Serious Job is no Excuse. I am so not into fashion, but I LOVED that blog.
– The first blog I commented on, and the first Minnesota blog I ever read, AND the first blogger who I sought out via google months after she shut down her old blog knowing that she would probably pop up somewhere else is Kitchen Blogic. (I was totally right, and I’m so glad I did!)
– The blog post I have linked to the most is the tutorial on washing an lanolizing wool diaper covers from The Gnome’s Mom. It is seriously the best. If you are addicted to wool- check it out!
– The blog that makes me nod my head, laugh, and cry is Yeah. Good Times.
– And the blog that has never steered me wrong when it comes to food is Smitten Kitchen. I miss our Friday night dinners with my mom- kids really do change everything.